One of the easiest things to cook is rice. It’s a very versatile side dish useful in many different styles of cooking. The basic process remains the same regardless. This recipe assumes basic long-grain white rice. Brown rice will take longer, and need a bit more water.
Rice Done Right
- 1 2 quart saucepan with tight fitting lid
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 dash extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup rice washed
- Place water in saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting. Add salt, oil, and rice. Stir to combine.
- Cover, and simmer undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Stir cooked rice with chopstick. If any residual moisture remains, cover and give it another 5 minutes.